Workshop: Vitaly Friedman – Smart Responsive Design Patterns
This is the second workshop organized by the Swiss Mobile Developers Association and will be web oriented, we believe native apps are great and still important, but mobile web applications are also an important resource.
In this brand new workshop, Vitaly Friedman (editor-in-chief of Smashing Magazine), will cover practical techniques, clever tricks and useful strategies you need to be aware of when working on responsive websites. From responsive modules to clever navigation patterns and web form design techniques; the workshop will provide you with everything you need to know today to start designing better responsive experiences tomorrow.
When: Postponed to May
Where: Zürich, venue to be defined
Length: Full-day, 8:30 – 17:30
The workshop is intended for intermediate/advanced designers and developers who have an understanding of responsive design and how it works.
Most techniques are borrowed from mid-size and large-scale real-life projects, such as large eCommerce projects, online magazines and web applications. We won’t cover the basics, instead, the workshops covers more advanced techniques used in responsive design.
This workshop will cover:
- Effective tools and techniques that can support and enhance your personal workflow when working on any responsive design project
- An overview of clever practical techniques for improving UX of responsive sites including navigation and search
- Responsive Design Patterns and innovative approaches to designing ‘responsive modules’ such as mega-drop downs, tables, calendars, multi-level menus, maps, carousels and web forms
- How to apply clever patterns such as improved off-canvas navigation, assistant pattern, smart URL design, priority+ pattern, vertical media queries, ‘view mode’ approach, lazy loading, autocomplete, type-ahead search, filters, portrait/landscape orientation change, inventory-based sliders, the country selector and responsive iconography
- How to craft delightful interfaces with smooth transitions, clever animations and improve perceived performance along the way
- How to optimize responsive websites for better mobile UX, faster data input and higher conversion rates
- Design anti-patterns to avoid when designing a responsive site to prevent running into performance issues and “slow UX decay”
- How the design processes should adapt in terms of the project management, deliverables, performance budgets, team organization and strategy.
WHAT HARDWARE/SOFTWARE DO YOU NEED?
You’ll need to bring a lot of creativity with your preferred coffee mug. Laptop is preferred but not absolutely necessary. You’ll need a lot of sleep reserves since it’s going to be a packed day.